Per serving17 calories, 5% of calories from fat, 0.1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 2 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 365 mg sodium, 0.4 g fiber.
Jiggling fruit mold with berry compote
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Cooling time: 1 hour
Chilling time: 6 hours
This recipe from "The New York Times Dessert Cookbook" hails from Fifty-Seven Fifty-Seven, the now-closed restaurant in New York City's Four Seasons Hotel. The unmolded jellied fruit syrup sits atop the berry compote and is garnished with whipped cream.
4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
2 3/4 cups water
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 envelope ( 1/4 ounce) plain gelatin
1 1/2 pints mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries)
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped, or non-dairy whipped topping, optional
Small chocolate chips, for garnish, optional
1. Combine raspberries, 2 cups of the water, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a large saucepan over high heat. Heat to a boil, stirring; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside to cool 1 hour.
2. Line a fine-meshed sieve with a double layer of cheesecloth; add the cooked raspberries. Press down gently to strain; discard the pulp. (There should be 2 cups of raspberry juice.) Transfer to a medium saucepan; set aside.
3. Soften the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water in a small bowl; set aside 5 minutes. Add to the raspberry juice. Cook, stirring, over low heat until gelatin dissolves, about 2 minutes. Fill four 1/2 -cup lightly oiled ramekins with raspberry mixture; cover. Refrigerate 6 hours.
5. Meanwhile, combine the mixed berries, remaining 1/2 cup of the water, remaining 1/2 cup of the sugar, orange zest and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat to a simmer; cook, stirring, until the fruit is syrupy and has almost dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer to a bowl. Cool; refrigerate, covered, 6 hours.
6. To serve, spoon mixed berry compote onto four plates. Dip the bottom of each mold into water; unmold onto compote. Spoon whipped cream on top of each, or pipe whipped cream into ghost shapes through a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip; press in mini chocolate chips for eyes.
Per serving313 calories, 1% of calories from fat, 0.4 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 83 g carbohydrates, 3 g protein, 441 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.